NEW!!!!! Employment Opportunity at PELUM Uganda: Advocacy Officer needed
Since 1995, PELUM Uganda has been working to improve the livelihoods of small-scale farmers and the sustainability of rural communities, through the fostering of ecological land use management. We: Share skills and knowledge about good practices and techniques, through a broad network of like-minded organizations; Undertake research and demonstration projects; and Advocate for policies that better support small-scale farmers
PELUM Country is part of a 10-country-strong association of civil society organizations in eastern, central and southern Africa.
PELUM Uganda is searching for a dynamic and self-motivated professional person to fill in the position of Programme Officer, Advocacy. This is a full time position with attractive remuneration, and the recruited staff will be stationed in Kampala, reporting directly to the Programmes Manager.
POSITION: PROGRAMME OFFICER, ADVOCACY
Overall Job purpose: To provide strategic leadership to the Advocacy Programme of PELUM Uganda and establish presence in key National and international level Institutions for purpose of pursuing PELUM’s advocacy agenda.
- Spearhead development, implementation and review of the PELUM advocacy strategy
- Mobilize advocacy issues from the PELUM membership
b) Policy Research:
- Work closely with the relevant thematic committees to set the research agendas
- Coordinate policy research at various levels.
- Ensure findings of the research are disseminated and used to inform policy processes and advocacy engagements
- Coordinate capacity building events for members and staff on policy research/ analysis
- Coordinate preparation of petitions, fact sheets and policy briefs.
c) Policy Engagements:
- Mobilize MOs input to all policy proposals submitted to decision makers
- Ensure capacity building and skills development in macro and micro-level advocacy for PELUM Uganda members and staff.
- Ensure PELUM is kept informed on policy processes related to sustainable farming systems and agricultural market development.
- Establish PELUM presence in key line ministries
- Coordinate representation of PELUM at various sector working groups that relate to agriculture.
- Organize platforms for engagements between PELUM and decision makers
d) Partnerships and Alliances:
- Ensure strategic alliances and partnerships are established to give a wider platform to advocate for PELUM issues of interest.
- Coordinate and ensure participation of Members in joint activities organized by other partners.
- Avoid negative publicity at any cost.
- Actively participate and represent PELUM in relevant events organized by strategic partners.
- Initiate joint activities with strategic partners
Other Key Responsibilities:
- Mobilization of financial and other resources and support.
- Report writing.
- Organizing relevant thematic committee meetings.
- Organizing and facilitating thematic workshops and events.
- Represent PELUM at various relevant thematic events
- Ensure that all activities are implemented in a gender sensitive manner
- Coordinate national, regional and sub regional level thematic initiatives
- Actively participate in planning, budgeting, M&E and reporting on PELUM Uganda thematic activities.
- Participate in inter-departmental meetings and department strategic planning
- Act as a media spokesperson on campaign and advocacy issues if required
- Maintain an active database of all key stakeholders and partners involved in PELUM’s advocacy agenda
- Any other tasks within the scope of the role as directed and agreed by your supervisor
Skills and personal attributes
The Program Officer Advocacy will be expected to have the following skills and attributes:
- A proven track record of successful policy and advocacy engagements in the agriculture or other sectors
- Good knowledge of key issues in the agricultural sector
- Experience of engagement within with policy makers and relevant ministry officials
- Experience of producing policy materials for varied audiences
- Excellent communications (oral & written English), presentation, interpersonal, influencing and negotiating skills for engaging with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Good conceptual and analytical skills and ability to think and operate innovatively.
- Good administration and organizational skills and ability to optimize independent use of time against variable workload
- Ability to manage resources
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to supervise others
- Achiever; Posses an ability to set goals for oneself and achieve them.
- Organization Skills; Ability to organize events and people to achieve a set objective.
- Conflict resolution; Ability to handle conflict in a mature way creating a win- win situation.
- Responsibility; ownership of given assignment with a commitment to see it to a good ending
Academic qualifications and experience
The Programme Officer, Advocacy will be expected to have the following academic qualifications:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Development Studies or any other related field. A Masters’ degree in a relevant field is an added advantage
- Additional training in the areas of policy analysis, research and journalism is an added advantage
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in a similar position, preferably with an NGO.
Other important considerations
The job offers a 1 year contract that is renewable upon satisfactory performance. Recruited staff will undergo a probationary period of 3 months.
How to apply
Application, including a cover letter giving reasons why you are suitable for the post, plus copies of relevant certificates, testimonials and contacts of 3 referees, should be sent to:
The Country Coordinator,
Plot 155, Kiira Road, Kamwokya
P. O. Box 35804, Kampala
Applicants who choose to send their applications by E-mail (to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org) will be required to deliver hard copies of relevant certificates and testimonials and 3 referees by end of the deadline of 12th of November 2014 to the above address.